“She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.” Proverbs 31:12
Good Morning, blogging community! (I took Sunday off!) I’ve been reading Psalm 91: God’s Shield of Protection, military edition by Peggy Joyce Ruth and Angelia Ruth Schum (check out my link to Peggy Joyce Ruth Ministries website) as my devotional each morning, and I have to say, the message in that book (speaking now of Psalm in the Bible) is profound! and those two ladies do a wonderful job with clarifying its message and helping to relate it to military life. Anyway, today’s devotion was over Psalm 91:14 “Because he loves me, says the Lord…” and how we show our love for God by being obedient to his word (John 14:15, “If you love me, you obey what I command”) Because we can’t physically walk up to God, give him a big hug, and say ‘Thanks for our salvation!,’ we have to show our love for Him by obeying His commands for us, and living according to His word. Which brings me to becoming a Proverbs 31 woman; I am showing my love for God in the way I live my life by becoming the woman, wife and maybe someday mother God intends me to be.
I put two and two together in my reading this morning… I finally understand (or have a better grasp on) the “profound mystery” Paul was talking about in Ephesians 5:32. Being a good wife is symbolic of being a good Christian. Marriage is a hands-on illustration, if you will, of Christ’s relationship with the Church. It’s deep, it’s intimate, it’s unconditional, and precious! The way my husband feels towards me is symbolic of the way Jesus feels about us as sons and daughters in Christ… He “really likes us” (you’ll laugh at that later)… so in growing closer to God, I’m growing closer to my husband.
That being said, the focus of my day today is Proverbs 31:12. I can show my husband I love him by bringing him good, or acts of kindness, because we see each other in person. And while I honestly try to do something special for him on a daily basis, whether it’s just putting on make-up, vacuuming, playing video games with him, or just making his favorite dinner, I would like to do something special for him that I haven’t done recently. And my idea well is running dry. So, anyone have any ideas?… Any one?….Bueller?… *sigh* Well, to give you an idea, here are some of the things I’ve done in the past.
- I found out he’d be coming home early, so I had his favorite lunch (buffalo chicken strips and rice) ready for him when he walked through the door. He looked at me with those pretty blue eyes and said, “I really like you.” (…get it now?)
- I told him we were going to have a Gears of War day. I dressed my Xbox 360 avatar in GoW clothing, and we literally played all day.
- I made him a special breakfast (chocolate chip pancakes) one Saturday when he came home from a field op, and it has sort of turned into an every Saturday morning thing. He had duty this past Saturday, but Sunday morning, I asked what he wanted for breakfast, and he said, “…Something combining chips…and cakes…”
- I surprised him after one field op with tickets to see a High School choir concert/soiree… If you think that sounds lame, you just need to know that my husband was extremely active in choir all through high school and college and has a beautiful tenor voice. (that last part is subjective and my opinion I suppose, but I’m not the only one who thinks so.)
- I watched you tube videos all day to learn how to cut a high fade so I could cut his hair for him (which was really not so self-sacrificing, seeing how it’s saved us $40/month in hair cut money…ca-CHING! little victories…)
So, there are some of the more successful surprises but I wanted to do something really cool for him for Valentine’s Day. We never have really celebrated it before because we are of the opinion that we value each other every day and not just on the 14th of February… But this year is different. He’s going to have to be away from home a lot this year and next so I want to make every moment count. So help me out, sports fans!