“She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks” Proverbs 31:17
I caught the sickness… I have no idea what it is, because the strep test I had done yesterday when I went to the doctor was negative… still waiting on the throat culture results… but at least we know what it isn’t… However, being so dizzy to the point of feeling inebriated, my throat being so swollen it’s difficult to breathe, and not being able to eat because it feels like swallowing broken glass and razor blades has reduced me to a weak-ish lump of pallid flesh wrapped in fleece, lying uselessly on the couch for the past 4 days. I’m not the kind of person to run to the doctor’s office at every sniffle, so I attempted to self-medicate. I learned a few things that I thought might be useful to you.
- Mixed berry NyQuil tastes way better than the cherry, and there is menthol in it which soothes your sore throat and opens nasal passages. It’s good stuff
- Halls honey lemon throat lozenges are way better than the off brand. If you’re bargain shopping, make sure you check the ingredients and compare them to the name brand stuff. In some cases, there’s a reason the generics are cheaper; they lack in quality.
- The generic Vick’s vaporub DOES have all the same active ingredients, in the same quantities, and is $4 cheaper than the name brand for the medium sized jar.
- If you feel dizzy and can’t figure out why, chances are it’s related to something in your inner ear throwing off your equilibrium. I had no idea I needed my ears flushed because I hadn’t noticed a difference in my hearing… turns out, I DID need them flushed, and I no longer feel drunk, and my hand-eye coordination is much improved. They recommended I use one part peroxide to one part water to flush them on my own once a month.
- Chicken noodle soup DOES in fact make all things better. Not only is it tasty, but it is good for you.
- My brother-in-law was right; you can to a certain extent “sweat it out” I did this in two ways: one, layer on the jammies. Dress like it’s 10 below outside and cover up in blankets galore. Two, run a bath as hot as you can stand. When you acclimate to the water, add more hot to it. As the water cools, it draws the toxins from your body. Add some menthol Epsom salt for added benefit.
- above all, PREVENT! Vitamin C people, OJ, Dark leafy greens like kale, and pretty much any fruit or veggie that is orange or yellow. Best game plan is to avoid getting sick all together.
- Oh, and wash your hands…duh…
Those were just a few helpful hints I thought may be useful in helping you all combat the sickness that’s going around.
But because I’ve been stuck on the couch, all the house work has piled up around me, and now my hubby is back from the field and the only thing on my to do list that I accomplished was buying groceries. 😦 I’m trying not to be too discouraged though because I realize my body probably needed the rest. However, those tasks aren’t going to complete themselves… So I will tackle them next week. Afterall, I feel I have to take advantage of every weekend I get to spend with the husband, so take 2 of the “To-do list” starts next Monday.
Oh- interesting side note- I did get a 3 hole punch to start organizing a command center… I’ll keep you posted on how that goes as well. And another by the way, I’m loving Deja Dead. You should totally read it… It’s set in Montreal, Canada, so there’s quite a bit of French, but I’m muddling through it all right. Just an FYI, if you’re weak-stomached, forensic fiction is not for you…